Monday, December 13, 2010

Some 'Cut & Sew' information

Here on the left you can see where I have drawn my neckline. You can see the yarn tags at the first & last neck stitches. I did not have a big enough template so I printed out a template from the 'KnitWare' program. (You can do that for any size neck if you have the program. I will describe that in another post.) I marked the neckline with washable marker in a contrasting color. Then I sewed 2 rows of zig zag stitching on the marked line. I was very careful to not pull or stretch the neckline while I was sewing it. You can put some tissue paper or embroidery backing behind the neck if you want to. I don't do that anymore as I have learned to sew without stretching the fabric. Before you cut, be sure to eyeball the neck to make sure it is even on both sides. You want them to match as closely as possible. You do not want one side higher or deeper than the other side. I used to measure them before I cut, that might be a good idea for the first couple that you do. Then, with a pair of sharp scissors I carefully cut just inside the marked line. 

We had some snow here for a few days. It is unusual for us to get snow more than every 3-4 years. I am from Iowa so I do enjoy the feel of the cold air & snow. But not every year & not all winter long. LOL We have lots & lots of rain in Western Washington so that took a bit of getting used to.   

No comments: